Saturday, July 9, 2016

A return to la belle province (and blogging)

It's been quite some time where the prairie tales were on a digital pause. Life has had a lot of ups and downs since I last 'blogged'. I have finished school and put in two years as a teacher (like a real teacher!) This spring I was granted my continuous contract (!!!), which feels like an awesome accomplishment - although I am aware that I have a tonne more to learn in order to become the teacher I want to be. At the same time as I was getting excited about the end of a school year - and a trip to keep working on French (this time with my love) my father passed away quite suddenly. After a bit of debate we decided to still head to Quebec. So - here we are. I'm hiding from the news - and the world a bit - as my heart just doesn't seem to have the fortitude for the brokenness that seems to be spreading. But many people have been sending notes, checking in, sending love, wanting to hear what we're up to... so I decided I'd try and restart the blog. We'll see how it goes.

So - and update with photos: Ready?

We're staying in a great little AirBnB that Carly found. The landlord seems great, let me know if you need a recommendation. He has a tonne of properties and if they're anything like this one - it'd be a great place to be while adventuring Quebec City.

The view from our petit patio
The festival d'été has just begun. Over the 11 days, there are concerts all over the city. It is crazy how many people are at the things we've been to. One article I said the largest venue can host up to 80,000 people - and I'd guess it was close to that for the opening concert with Sting and Peter Gabriel.

Early evening waiting for City and Colour

Closing act last night with the Lumineers who were awesome! 

Something I love about this city is the amount of art installations that seem to be everywhere. Today, on our way to the market, we encountered this covered bridge (made with pieces of painted thick plastic).



I'm also loving that we're a few blocks from a farmers market that is open every day and filled with delicious things. Carly's in berry heaven - and the blueberries aren't even out yet.

Berries berries everywhere! 

Quail eggs! 
School itself is going well. In many ways there are similarities to the first time I was here. I have lost (misplaced, filed too safely...) much of the French I learned last time, so I am struggling a bit, but that was expected. We've completed the first week - which seems incredible, 4 left!

I hope wherever you are out in the world, that you are well.
peace to you~

No comments:

Post a Comment